- Showdown & I prefer that the mare come to our home when she starts her cycle and leaves when she is done with her cycle. A mare’s cycle generally lasts 5-7 days. This is the best way to ensure that your mare leaves in foal and doesn’t have to come back until you want another foal.
- It is helpful to know when your mare’s cycle starts – If you don’t know how to tell, a vet can help.
- A mare must be current on all vaccines, free of transmittable diseases and healthy. I generally have new babies on the farm and they can catch stuff very easily… We want everyone to stay happy and healthy..
- Ultra-sound your mare 14 to 20 days after she leaves us... This way you know she is caught! And, if she is not the mare can come right back for her next cycle.
- In order to register the new foal you worked so hard for – The mare MUST be registered with the Missouri Fox Trotter Horse Association and she must be DNA’d. I will provide you with paperwork to register your new foal – but it can’t be done unless the mare has a registration number and a DNA case number. (see MFTHBA.COM for more information and to order DNA kit)
- I give my pregnant mare Phnemobort at 5, 7 & 9 months of pregnancy it is a simple shot that you can get from your vet – then 30 days prior to foaling the mare gets her normal vaccinations. This gives your foal the best chance of being strong and ready for the new world.
- THE BIG DAY IS HERE! Give your mare a tube of Ivermectin wormer (labeled safe for mare & baby) the day the foal is born. I have found that this helps with scowers that the foal may get during the mares first heat cycle (generally 5-7 days after the foal is born).
- Give the baby a dose of eccoli paste – available from your vet.
- Treat the baby’s umbilical cord twice per day with betadine. A small cup with a lid works well.
- Consult your Veterinarian about worming and vaccinations or as needed.
- Register your new foal.
- Enjoy and watch him/her grow and play.
- Try the links below for coat color, birth date and the Missouri Fox Trotter Site..